Frequently Asked Questions
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is safe, gentle and unbelievably effective and the 3rd largest health-care system in the world. It is the art of healing which unleashes the innate ability of the body to heal itself by realigning the spine. This opens the nerve channels and allows the healing power of your body to be turned on. The nervous system is the “master controller” of your body. Through a nervous system free of interference the brain sends and receives all the vital correct messages your body needs to function with.
How do I know whether I need to see a Chiropractor?
Everyone should get their spine checked. Only 10% of your nervous system perceives pain, the other 90% is what is making your body function, it is possible to have nerve interference and feel no pain. How you feel is a poor judge of your health. By the time a symptom appears, many spinal problems are advanced. Chiropractic focuses on the damaging importance of subluxation (a loss of normal spinal and nervous system function), essential to all body systems such as the immune system.
What is a subluxation?
Shifts in your spine are commonly called Vertebral Subluxations. Subluxations are the silent destroyers of health. The word “subluxation” comes from the Latin words meaning, “to dislocate” (luxare) and “somewhat or slightly” (sub). A subluxation means a slight dislocation (misalignment) or biomechanical malfunctioning of the vertebrae (bones of the spine) and it is these disturbances that may irritate nerve roots, tension the spinal cord, and also irritate blood vessels, which branch off from the spinal cord between each of the vertebrae. This irritation may cause pain and dysfunction in muscle, lymphatic and organ tissue as well as imbalance in the normal body processes.
Should my children have their spine checked?
Absolutely. Chiropractic patients range in years from birth to old age. Regardless of age, the vertebrae can become misaligned. For example, the birth process may cause trauma to the neck and spine. Left uncorrected, the vertebral subluxation may disturb the delicate spinal cord and nerves, which control the youngster’s muscles and organs. In some cases, an uncorrected subluxation may lead to a deformity of the spinal column. An early chiropractic checkup may detect many spinal problems while they are still easily correctable.
How does chiropractic care help the pregnant woman?
Because of the additional weight and stress on the framework of the body in pregnant women, chiropractic adjustments can help lower the incidence of pain in the low back and legs, and between the shoulder blades. In some cases, fewer headaches and problems with nausea and elimination may also result. Many chiropractors care for expectant mothers in the regular course of their daily practices.
Is Chiropractic safe?
Yes! Chiropractors care for their patients using safe, gentle and scientifically validated techniques. We aim to educate all our patients to inform them how and why Chiropractic is safe and appropriate for people of all ages, especially babies and children.
If you have any other questions, please ask!! We will be happy to help you – call us on 09 523 5663